I know I'm not the only one who uses excuses, but I also know some really dedicated people who will always find the time, no matter what else is going on in their lives. I wish I was like that.
I have all the reasons, all the arguments to counter my clients arguments... I have the answer! But I also don't listen to myself.
Here are my top tips to make sure you (and I) get to the gym:
- Write your schedule in your diary, on your calendar or set an alarm on your phone
- If you plan on working out in the morning, set out your clothes the night before (yes, I know everyone says that) and think about your workout as you go to sleep - you'll be more motivated in the morning
- If you plan on working out at lunchtime or after work, keep some spare kit in your car, or in your desk, so you can't use the excuse that you left your bag at home
- Think about how you feel when you're in the gym/on the tennis court/pounding the streets... you're having fun, right? And afterwards, don't you feel great? Why wouldn't you want to do something that's fun and makes you feel great??
- Mix it up. If you're bored with your routine, throw in a class, go for a run or bike ride, swim a few lengths. Or get a new gym programme from your instructor.
- Buy yourself some new kit. (I did this recently, and if nothing else the compliments made me feel good.) A new colour or style is perfect for showing off your achievements so far.
I know for a fact how a missed session can turn into a couple of missed sessions, which can easily turn into a week or a month. Why 'start over' when you don't need to? Push yourself through a slump and you'll come out the other side feeling awesome!